Vinyl Tattoo Project

Designing my Vinyl Tattoo

Designing the Tattoo:
For our first project, I wanted to make sure it was unique, so I went on Pinterest and looked up illustrative and geometric tattoo designs. I found a bunch of designs I liked, mostly pertaining to aliens and skeletons, so I thought to combine the two. I found a design pretty similar to what I wanted, and got to tracing the design. I had some difficulties with this at first, due to the fact that all of my lines were just single lines and didn't join in any way. When I had our professor look over my design, he said he really liked the design but that I needed to go back and join all of the lines. I guess in my head I didn't realize that all of the lines had to be joined, because it was going to go through the printer. A couple other classmates had this issue too, so we went back to work fixing our designs. My tattoo design was essentially all made out of lines, so it took me a pretty long time to go back and fix everything. I still made one or two mistakes though, because when it came time to print, I had either one or two lines through parts of the design, but I just tried to make it look as seamless as possible. I printed my design in four different colors, but only ended up using two. I printed the design in gold, black, cream, and teal. When I had the designs physically in my hands, I got to work with my X-ACTO knife, trimming away all the pieces I didn't want. The project's goal was to stick it on your laptop cover, but I wasn't too keen on that idea due to the fact that I already had a case covered in stickers, as well as a marble designed case. I didn't want to put the design straight onto my laptop either, so I thought of a different idea. I went to Michael's and got a really nice piece of wood to put my design on. I had finished the teal print, but I thought with the wood background, the gold would look better so I cut that design out. It took me at least an hour to cut out each design. I put the vinyl on transfer tape, and got to work flattening it out with my App card. This was pretty difficult for me, it wouldn't stick to the tape! I had to work at it for about ten minutes. Then, I put it on the tape and transferred it onto the piece of wood. My first project was complete!
What Could I Have Done Better?
With this project, I didn't really expect the deadline to come up on me so quickly, so I definitely could have managed my time better. I also could have started out with joining all of my lines, instead of making them all single lines. I guess I was still trying to get the hang of Rhino so it took me a lot of revision to get the design printable. The dimensions of the design is another thing I could have done better. The project was too big to even put on my laptop if I wanted to do that. 
Aspects of the Project I was Happy With:
Overall, I was really happy with my first project. It was difficult to work on the project, while also doing a couple homework assignments. I liked the wood piece I put the vinyl project on, so I enjoyed that part of the project (I still have it on my wall hanging up). I like that if I ever wanted to change an aspect of the project, I also could do that. When we were doing the critique, a couple people complained about the color of the wood being too light, so if I ever wanted to darken the color with a wood stain I could do that. I also could paint in between the vinyl pieces and remove the vinyl to create the design with paint. 
What Would I do Differently in the Future?
If I ever had to recreate this project by using vinyl, I would know how to properly join the lines so the printer would be able to work correctly. I would also make the dimensions the proper lengths, so that I would have more options of what to put the design on. I would work more diligently and not procrastinate if I were ever given a project like this again. 
What did I Learn from the Project?
I learned that you could trace over an image to help create the design of it. I learned how to better make use of layers, each section goes into a layer. I also learned how to work with transfer tape, and how it can be difficult at times. I also improved my X-ACTO knife skills, and was able to cut out all of the pieces I didn't want very quickly and without messing any of the vinyl up. I also learned that you can get a little more creative and pick an object for the vinyl to go on that's not the basic laptop, cup, or folder.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3D Head Scan

Chess Set Project

Introduction to Rhinoceros